PLEASE NOTE: Slightly revised at 11:30p Friday night. A little more for Cloudy, a stronger Friday for Fame, but still short of $10M for the weekend and a little less for The Infortmant!.
Sony's Cloudy with a Chancy of Meatballs is proving to be a veritable buffet for family audiences as the 3D animation project will coast to a second consecutive weekend win. My sources tell me that Cloudy is holding up extraordinarily well with no other family fare in the market, seizing another $5.5M on to start the weekend and a possible $22M 3-day.
The Bruce Willis sci-fi vehicle Surrogates (Disney) is headed for a distant #2 after a lukewarm $5.1M opening day. The picture is targetting something in the $14.5M range. The re-tooled 2009 version of Fame doesn't appear to be the tonic that will cure what ails troubled MGM. With a $3.8M Friday, the remake will struggle to reach $9.7M, possibly falling just short of the benchmark.
Holdover The Informant! (Warner Bros) is holding strong for a likely 4th-place finish. The Steven Soderberg comedy featuring a pudgy Matt Damon sold approximately $2.2M in tickets on Friday, and it may hit $6.7M for a 10-day cume of $20.8M. Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself (Lionsgate) will probably round out the Top 5 with a possible $5.5M. Meanwhile, I am told that the genre pic Pandorum (Overture) will finish the frame with an underwhelming $4M or so.
EXCLUSIVE STEVE MASON EARLY FRIDAY & 3-DAY ESTIMATES FOR 9/25-27
1. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Sony) - $5.5M Fri - $22M 3-day - $56.9M cume
2. NEW - Surrogates (Disney) - $5.1M Fri - $14.5M 3-day - $14.5M cume
3. NEW - Fame (MGM) - $3.8M Fri - $9.8M 3-day - $9.8M cume
4. The Informant! (Warner Bros) - $2.2M Fri - $6.7M 3-day - $20.8M cume
5. Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself (Lionsgate) - $1.65M Fri - $5.5M 3-day - $45.4M cume
* NEW - Pandorum (Overture) - $1.5M Fri - $4M 3-day - $4M cume